You Can Like Tofu, Honest
Don’t like tofu? Wait, it has no taste.
That’s a good reason not to like it!
I’m going to show you how to add flavor.
Tofu has very little flavor on its own, so I am always surprised when restaurants don’t season it. Everyone likes tofu prepared this way, even people who say they don’t like tofu. They are usually surprised!
There are some things we can compromise on and not eat organic, but soy is not one of them. When you use a soy product, be sure it is organic. There is no other way to be sure it isn’t GMO. Tofu is one item that you can usually find organic in any grocery store.
Tofu has more protein than beef or eggs, has zero carbs and very little fat.
I don’t usually use recipes, so I am going to describe the process instead. This one is very simple.
- 1 lb. block of organic tofu (firm or extra firm – don’t use silken tofu as it is too soft)
- Bragg Aminos or Coconut Aminos
- Extra virgin organic olive oil or coconut oil – enough to coat the tofu cubes during cooking.
- Onions, garlic, other veggies as desired
- Seasoning of your choice
- (You can skip this step if you’re in a hurry. More flavor is absorbed by the tofu is you first press the water out though.) Press the water out of the tofu first. I put the block in a strainer over a pan, put a plate on top and then either a pan of water or a brick. After a couple of hours, remove the tofu.
- Cube the tofu. Sprinkle Bragg Aminos and other seasonings on the tofu. Toss. Add more so that all of the cubes are colored by the Aminos. Taste so you don’t over-salt it.
- Heat oil in a pan large enough to fit the tofu cubes in one layer.
- Add the onions and garlic. After 1 or 2 minutes, add the tofu. Sautee on low heat, stirring occasionally. You want to keep the heat on low or medium to low to prevent heating the oil too high. If it begins to stick to the pan, add oil and use a metal spatula to stir.
With tofu, there is no worry about it being too raw like you do with meat. You can eat it raw. What you’re looking for is a nice texture and taste.
Enjoy! Tell me your thoughts and experiences with this!
The Healing Chef